Saturday, October 4, 2008

Angel...or Devil???

I love Halloween! In fact, I'd go so far as to say its my favorite 'holiday' - if you want to call it a holiday. I loved it as a kid and I love it even more now that I HAVE kids. I love dressing them up in adorable little costumes. What's more, I love making costumes for my kids! Ryleigh's was a mere 5 weeks old her first Halloween and that was before I started sewing. So, she was dressed asTigger - one of my favorite characters. We didn't go trick-or-treating...we just stayed home and passed out candy - but it was fun just the same.




The following year I MADE my first Halloween costume. And its my favorite to-date. Ryleigh was 13 months old and she went trick-or-treating for the first time as a duck. How cute is she?!?!?!

Unfortunately, I didn't get to make the kids' costumes last year. I was pregnant with Isaac and put on bedrest at the beginning of September and remained on bedrest until he was born on October 5th. Needless to say, while at home adjusting to life as a Mommy of 2, making Halloween costumes was not high on my priority list. So, Isaac was dressed in the same Halloween costume that Ryleigh wore her 1st Halloween and Ryleigh dressed as Pooh. A very fitting costume for her...anyone who knows Ryleigh knows she doesn't go far with her beloved Pooh Bear lovey. Her second birthday party was Pooh themed...she just loves Pooh and loved dressing as him for Halloween. And I loved that their costumes coordinated. :)
That brings us to this year - Ryleigh's 4th Halloween and Isaac's 2nd. I really wanted to dress them as Pebbles and Bamm Bamm. We called Isaac Bamm Bamm for a while because he was constantly banging his hands, or anything else he could hold, on tables, walls, you name it. But, as it came time to start thinking about creating the costumes, I had a hard time trying to come up with a way to 'winterize' Pebbles and Bamm Bamm costumes. So, then I contemplated Dennis the Menace and Margaret - but figured people might not 'get it'. So, I decided on a devil (Isaac) and a 'Devil in Disguise' (Ryleigh) - think angel costume with a horns coming out of the halo and a devil's tail peeking out the back of the dress. The idea suits them both perfectly! :) So, I got to work. I made Isaac's first because I figured it would be easier. Here he is - my handsome little devil:
This picture was taken before the snaps were added to the back, but its the only pic of the tail that I have. :)
Then I moved on to Ryleigh's costume...I started with the 'angel' part of it and this is what I got:


Now how could I attach horns and a devil's tail to something so precious and cute??? So, she's now going to be just an angel. A far cry for her...but, she'll have to pretend. ;-)

2 comments:

Melanie @ Whimsical Creations said...

Those are fabulous! I love the duck! She looks like such an angel in the angel costume. Such a cute idea.

=) melanie

Anonymous said...

Wow..! These are adorable. Love the Halloween costumes.